Message from the author:

Hi! I have made it my life's mision to introduce personal finance management and wealth creation to ALL ordinary Filipinos. Please join my cause by sharing this site to all Pinoys you know.

I believe that INFORMATION IS KEY. Read my articles below and be informed. Help me start building dreams today. Spread the word. One day at a time, one Filipino soul at a time.

Readers may also donate to this cause. Funds will be used to further fuel this campaign. Click the button below.



Thank you for your kind hearts.

Wednesday 30 March 2011

The hesitant Filipino


Here's another true story:

I recently had a very engaging conversation with an interesting lady who works for the government. Our discussion went from the usual ‘where are you from” to the topic of investments and the stock market. Before long, she was googling websites of my broker and the better performing corporations in the Philippines. Before we went our separate ways, she thanked me for all the information I fed her and I thanked her back for listening.

Little did she know that thanks to her, I now have something relevant to blog about today.


Gigi (her nickname), has always been into investing herself. She is one of the few Filipinas I’ve met who is financially literate. Someone who is aggressive with her choices in life, especially in money management. During our short conversation, she mentioned about some of her officemates who, unlike her, hesitated to invest in a certain financial instrument she firmly believed in . In her own words, she said they (her officemates) have this “wait and see” attitude.

The classic hesitant Pinoy, that’s what they are. Always hesitant and scared of taking charge. Now this is a reality, dear readers. It has been so for decades now, but no one dared to tell us that this is so wrong.

Now, in this very modern times that we are presently in, let me shout out loud to the Filipinos - This is so wrong! And we have got to realize this now or we will never get our heads above water.

My take is that today’s generation of Pinoys should be the opposite. They should learn to exclude the term “hesitant” in their vocabulary. When it comes to investing and / or money management, information is key. I say one should not hesitate, But rather, act aggressively by consciously KNOWING what the pros and cons are.

I always say “information is key”, because it is the truth. One should know what he is getting into by doing research, Know the ways out. Know everything there is to know about the investment. Only after this that he should act. Acting actively rather than passively should be the correct move. There is no room for hesitation, no matter what. Just like what Gigi did when she first tried investing, and continues to do so now that her eyes have been opened to yet another form of investment which is the stock market.

Do your homework, Pinoys. Never hesitate. Hesitating is weak. It is the mindset of the poor. It is the old way. We’re trying to change that to the new way.

Our lesson for today is about self-reflection. Ask yourself, when will you act? What's keeping you? How come some Filipinos like Gigi know where they're going while you don't? What are you so scared of? Why do you hesitate so much?

My friends, the answers are all around us. You just have to focus, and then act, and then commit. Keep in mind the surprise waiting for you after your working days - that no one will be there to help you live out the rest of your life. Not your government; not your parents; definitely not your current employer. Do not be the common hesitant Filipino. You are better than that. With all the information available around, and all the tools and skill sets you can muster in your lifetime, you can change your life today.   

Start the journey now, my friends. It is time.

PS

Personal message for Gigi: 
Thanks once again, Gi. I earnestly hope you keep your promise of spreading the word. It’s people like you who I intentionally seek out to keep me as grounded as I could be so as I could function better in this personal  mission of mine. 

Remember what i said about my mission of educating one soul a day? With your help, we can multiply that. Please continue informing everyone you know or meet of this window of opportunity that they keep on passing up. Help me change their lives, one day at a time, one ordinary Filipino at a time. 

God bless, Gigi. May wealth and happiness follow you forever.  
          





No comments:

Post a Comment